Sunday, February 5, 2012

Resuming Episode


A moth ate words-
I thought it strange to hear,
and a wonder of fate,
that a worm in darkness
can thieve a man's fine riddle,
swallow his song,
sip eloquence and feast in its foundation.
And yet that stealthy guest
who dines on stolen words will leave no wiser.

(who/what am I?)


Well, while I wish that I chewed through books much faster than I do, especially non-fiction. But, I have been undergoing a bit of podcast mania lately. To give some scope to "mania" I mean that I have over 300 podcasts downloaded and waiting for me to listen to them at the moment. It all started when I downloaded Stitcher because I was out of podcasts to listen to - needless to say, I won't run into that problem again! The other half of it is that in less than a year out of the classroom I've been itching to learn new things. As much as I love Radiolab, TTBOOK, The National Gallery of Art (Washington) and Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me; How To Do Everything, Things You Missed in History Class and Stuff You Should Know have been welcome additions to my podcast repertoire. As informative as my current line up is I decided to push the learning envelope a little more - I'll let you know how some of the newbies like NutritionDiva, Learn Welsh, British Library, Fashion Museum and National Gallery (London) podcasts go. (I wasn't kidding when I said I was jonesing for some education - and there are more, many more). 

Podcasts are a fantastic way to inform, entertain and educate yourself while doing other things (like driving, household chores, cooking, exercising, etc). *Disclaimer - I do not recommend listening to Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me while driving, exercising or cooking as it may result in injury to yourself or others from laughing too hard (I myself have almost fallen off the treadmill laughing, at least a time or two)* That being said, perhaps my tastes don't co-inside with yours, but don't let that stop you - there is a wide variety of material available for every interest. Check it out!

N.B. My introductory segment was an Anglo-Saxon riddle. I love Anglo-Saxon riddles, some of them are so timeless! The answer to this riddle is: a book worm. (If you really enjoyed this Anglo-Saxon Riddle I recommend investing in The Word Exchange: Anglo-Saxon Poems in Translation Edited by Greg Delanty and Michael Matto, Foreword by Seamus Heaney. It's a great book!)

No comments:

Post a Comment