Monday, February 20, 2012

Can Fashion Really Work Upcycling?

My first response would be, "Work it out of its system, hopefully!" - but I may in fact be wrong.

First, you may ask "What is upcycling?". Upcycling, as I was introduced to it - hence huge over simplification alert, is the reusing of a material to make something of equal or better longevity than what it was originally. That is to say instead of using 500 potato chip bags to make an iodine bottle, using 500 chip bags to make a messenger bag. Theoretically this is a really great idea, wine cork cork-boards. However, personally, in clothing I often also find these efforts to be extremely ugly and would never be caught dead carrying a satchel with junk food labels emblazoning it (never mind buy one!). I know, I know you might say "aw, but it's cutesy kitsch" - I just cannot agree. Now, in all fairness there are less gauche renditions of this phenomenon - think seat-belt belts (hey, I said less). So, as much as I like the idea, I'm just not a fan when it comes to clothing items and accessories.

Then you can imagine my shock as I was reading the news this morning when I happened upon an article in the NYT about the great future of upcycling in fashion. Fashion recycling can be pretty iffy as it is, and those are already items intended to be worn as clothing. But using non clothing items....

I must admit, though I'm still wary of the idea, silk parachutes as cargo pants or canvas sails as a hat or coat - maybe upcycling does have a fashion future for the discerning of taste. So, keep your eye out for increasing instances, and better manifestations of what I formerly called the movie concession-wear trend. Who knows, maybe even I'll come around.

No comments:

Post a Comment