Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Yesterday's Billet-Doux

Oh, May. It never fails to be interesting month. It is even one of the few months with two labors, hawking or courtly love. So, depending on your station, perhaps your months has been knights on horseback, hunting parties, and men going hawking in the forest. A boating party on the Seine. At Amiens a peasant resting in the shade. A man may be daydreaming about his beloved in Autun. Or at Vezelay, a man leans on his shield, lost in thought. You know... all things none of us do. Ever.

In a more realistic bent, instead of courtly love many of use have instead been living this year's Rare Book School Valentine's Day Thought "anything worth doing is worth overdoing." So far it seems to be going quite. We'll see how that leaves everyone heading into the mowing of June. Or perhaps we'll be the one's mowed.

Hawking. We really have nothing to equate to hawking here. I can say that we were gawping (at least that rhymes) at the sales of today's Schimmel Forgeries Collection at Bonhams. What an auction! I won't say much because PhiloBiblos, likely do a full auction report and a far better job than I could. Until then, you can read the auction preview. But, I will say that I was certainly surprised. I expected huge sales.

Well, I just wanted to make sure I got something in about the labors of May. I would write more but I am off to overdo some things before there just isn't any more day left to do things in!

No comments:

Post a Comment