Monday, February 21, 2011

Mad about Marginalia

I love a great many things, marginalia is definitely one of them.  So, it would come as no surprise that I was very excited about, and then very disappointed by, today's New York Times article "Book Lovers Fear Dim Future for Note in the Margins." I had quite the post going when I realized I do not want Livrelle to be a place for rants, so the link is above for you to read the article and form your own opinion of the piece.  I think the heart of the article is in the right place.

Since this is a post about marginalia I suppose I can't just leave it at that so....Love books and want to start a collection? Next time you're in a used bookshop or ordering something from Amazon, or somewhere similar, look to see if there's a copy of one of your favorite books with notes in the margins. It is fascinating to learn how others responded to the same text, and often very cheap too! The only downside is that you can't ask the marginator (that's my made up word for people who write in margins) any questions. It's a fun and interesting way to enjoy books you've read time and again in a new way.

When I began Livrelle I wanted to post every day. Obviously, I have not been successful in that goal. But, I have been reading like wild fire and my most recent read, Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project, has got me thinking about revisiting my goal of posting every day and about what the content of Livrelle will be. I can't say I have any answers yet but if there are any regular readers out there - please bear with me. I think this will be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment